1. The middle ages began in 476 with the fall of the Roman Empire and ended in 1492 with the Discovery of America.
2. In 711, the Muslims invaded the Iberian Peninsula and conquered the Visigothic Kingdom, which called al-Ándalus.
4. The Muslims contributed great advances in mathematics (arabic numerals), agriculture (new crops) and crafts (ceramics).
5. The Reconquista is a period in which the Christian kingdoms recaptured territory from the Muslims.
6. In the Middle Ages, society was divided into four groups: the king, the nobility, the clergy and the commoners.
8. The nobles defended all the members of society. They governed the land, maintaining law and order and collecting taxes from the people who lived there.
9. The clergy dedicated their lives to God and prayed for the salvation of all the members of society.
12. The main features of Romanesque architecture are low building, small windows and rounded arches.
14. The main features of Gothic architecture are tall building, large stained-glass windows and pointed arches.
15. Gothic façades and interiors were decorated with religious stained-glass windows, paintings and sculptures.
18. During the Inquisition, Jews and Mudéjars were persecuted and ordered to convert to Christianity, or be expelled from Spain.
19. On the 12th of October of 1492, three ships under the command of Christopher Columbus reached America.